Success stories of local climate action
In 2020, Climate Alliance was not only celebrating the network's 30th anniversary, but was also organising the 9th Climate Star competition. This edition's motto: "We are change – success stories of local climate action". In everyday life, at work or in the transition to a better world – change affects us all, especially in times like these. Change also offers the opportunity to initiate a sustainable transformation and to break new ground. And this is exactly why we were looking for local success stories!
What is future-oriented climate action? How can we shape a resilient future? Which aspects will play an important role looking forward? Do you know of an ongoing or completed project that can answer these questions? The 9th Climate Star showcased local success stories of how communities across Europe are living out the competition's motto. Whether the focus is on transformation processes, participatory approaches, energy, mobility, procurement, climate change adaptation or climate justice.
This time, a special category was established for users of the Change the Future tool and while the Climate Star application phase has ended, it is not too late to sign up and get involved!
The Climate Star winners were honoured during a digital award ceremony on 22 April 2021, made possible by the State of Lower Austria.
Project descriptions and details can be found in the Climate Star brochure
Energy & Climate
- Ascha, Germany: An energy independent town
- Eppan, Italy: E-Bikes for commuters
- Graz, Austria: Climate innovation city
- Tulln, Austria: Water/water heat pump
Sustainability in everyday life
- Baden, Switzerland: A simpler life - shaping the future
- District of Steinfurt, Germany: #energieland2050
- Ludwigsburg, Germany: Nachhaltigkeit (ba)rockt!
- Perchtoldsdorf, Austria: Perchtoldsdorf4future
- Targu Mures, Romania: Change the Future Challenge
- Energy Agency Rhinelnad-Palatinate, Germany: KlikK Aktiv
- Retzer Land, Austria: Local electricity market
- Herzogenburg, Austria: 20 ideas for the climate
- Esch sur Alzette, Luxembourg: BENU eco-village
- Junglinster, Luxembourg: Equivelo
- Villach, Austria: Re-Use network
- Kajárpéc, Hungary: Trees for all
Photo: Climate Alliance Lower Austria