Getting to Modena
Modena’s main train station, which serves the Milan-Bologna Trenitalia line, is located in Piazza Dante Alighieri very close to the city centre. It take approximately 1.5 hours to travel from Milan to Modena. Information on train schedules and tickets is available on the Trenitalia website at www.trenitalia.it
Modena is also connected to the high speed Mediopadana AV Reggio-Emilia station via the Italobus shuttle service, which is included in the high-speed Italo train tickets. Information on high speed schedules and tickets is available on the Italotreno website at www.italotreno.it
There are a number of options to get from the train station to the city centre. There are two luggage-storage offices nearby the station.
- Bus 7 (Policlinico/Gottardi) connects the train station and the Cathedral
- (9 minutes: get off at the Piazza Mazzini stop).
- Bus 11 (Zodiaco) connects the train station and the Cathedral (7 minutes: get off at Piazza Mazzini stop).
- A taxi stand is also located on the right side of Piazza Dante.
If you must take a plane, the best ad closest option is to arrive at the Bologna airport. There are then a number of options to get from the Bologna airport to the city centre:
- A shuttle connects the Bologna airport to Modena’s city centre in 45 minutes (get off at Largo Garibaldi). This costs €25 roundtrip and €15 one-way with a 5% discount for payment by credit card. Schedules can be found at www.aerbus.it; the shuttle can be booked here.
- Alternatively, a shuttle also connects the airport to the Bologna train station in only 8 minutes. This is fastest way to get from the airport to the train station with frequent trips (departing every 7 minutes during peak times; otherwise every 15 minutes). Schedules and information can be found at www.marconiexpress.it.
- A local train connects Bologna to Modena every 30 to 40 minutes during the day. The trip takes approximately 30 minutes.
- Another possible solution coming from some countries is to take the GoOpti shuttle. You can find routes and information at www.goopti.com.
The sessions of Grafting Cities will be held in a number of historic locations throughout the city of Modena, all within walking distance from one another. For details, please see this map.
- Palazzo comunale / Grande Galleria Europa (City Hall)
Piazza Grande 17, 41121 Modena
- Ex AEM / Laboratorio Aperto di Modena
Viale Buon Pastore 43, 41125 Modena
- Camera di Commercio (Chamber of Commerce)
Palazzo Molza, Via Ganaceto 134, 41121 Modena
- Chiesa di San Carlo (San Carlo Church)
Via San Carlo 5, 41121 Modena
- Accademia Militare (Military Academy)
Piazza Roma 15, 41100 Modena